Bathroom Mirror Upgrade

PicMonkey Collage

If you follow LMB, you know we have been preparing the house to be put on the market over past few weeks. We set out around the house to find really easy and cheap DIY projects that would add just that bit of icing to our home. We decided to upgrade our bathroom mirrors. This project was very easy and cost near nothing, and only took about an hour and a half for both mirrors. Here is how they turned out.

DSC_3891

The Materials.

Base molding

Bathroom liquid nail

The Tools.

A Miter Saw

Pocket angle finder

Tape measure

DSC_3837

The Technique.

I measured out the length and width of my mirror. In order to make a frame you will cut our your molding at 45 degree, this will result in a long side and a short side. The long side is going to be the exact length of your mirror, the short side is going to be the inside corner of your frame.  **NOTE** Please ensure if your molding has any kind of design on it, the design with the 45 degree cut matches up all the way around the frame. I let one board catch me off guard, and cut it “backwards.” Next, there was a small lip from the counter top that the mirror sat flush against. I started with the bottom because the counter top would ensure I kept the board level and flush. I cleaned the mirror and generously applied the Loctite Power Grab to my molding staying about a half of an inch away from the inside, this would allow the adhesive to spread, but not able to be visible through the reflection of the mirror. LMB and myself, held it in place for the prescribe time, and then moved on to the adjacent side. Repeat, until the frame is complete. Please read your choice of adhesive direction well, the one we used has a moisture sealing compound, and it states not to allow moisture to touch the area for at least 24 hours. Ensure that bathroom is well ventilated to help mitigate any moisture or fog to build up on the mirror from a warm shower.

PicMonkey Collage

DSC_3884

That is it! Super easy and cheap, and I think it added that final staple to our bathrooms. Click Here for before and after photos of the bathroom mirrors. You will be taking a little space away from the mirror, however after putting up the border, the mirror looks a little bigger. I hope you enjoyed this quick project, please let me know what you think; leave a comment below, or find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Thanks.

Comments

1. Penny P. says:

Looks great! I’ve been wanting to do this to our mirrors for while, but I can’t seem to figure out how to work around the metal clips that hold the mirror. From the before pic it looks like ya’ll have those as well. Did you do anything special to accommodate those or was it not an issue? Thanks!

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

I was thinking the same thing, but the molding I bought fit snug against the mirror without any issue or gap, our clips were very thin. If you have larger clips, hold the frame in place and mark where the clips are and sand that spot to give just a little clearance, the adhesive will fill in, and take care of it. Thanks for reading.

2. Sheila says:

Love what you’ve done !!! It really makes the mirrors complete and they look more substantial too. Gotta see if I can do that on mine. Love what you are doing to your home. You will definitely wow the potential buyers when they come in for a viewing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sheila

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

Thanks Sheila. Yeah, I did not think it was going to make a big splash in our bathroom, but sure enough it does. And if you ever get around to doing it yourself, you will see what I mean when afterwards, the mirror looks bigger. Good Luck.

3. So easy! Love it! This is on our to-do list! We were curious of the clips too…but nothing a little sanding can’t take care of. Glad to have the reassurance that that’s what ya’ll did too! 🙂

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

Yeah, super easy. It looks so nice as well. I think this is something I am going to do to all of my mirrors down the road. The big mirror in your master would like awesome framed. Can’t wait for little M.

4. ashley says:

My mirrors have the large clear clips on the bottom and top which is what the mirror hangs from…There would be no way to put wood over it so any ideas on how to hang my mirror back on the wall? What did you do about the clips?

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

I marked where the clips landed on my molding. After that, I took a sanding block to the marked areas and it fit right over the clips. The Loctite adhesive will fill in the gaps between the board and the clips.

• Lisa Riley says:

I also have large clips and want to do this- I saw on another site that you can replace the plastic clips with flat washers so that’s my plan. No amount of sanding would allow the molding to fit around these giant plastic clips…

5. Tiffany says:

I love how this looks and I’ll probably do it in all but one of my bathrooms. My downstairs powder room has an oval mirror so I can’t think of any way to do this for that one. If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them!

• Katherine says:

I would suggest to try and look for an old vintage oval picture frame. You can then paint to color you want and adhere to you mirror. Just an idea 🙂

6. kristen cotton says:

When cutting the molding to width for the short end: what do you mean when you say “measure from the inside corner?”

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

The inside portion of the trim. If you are looking at the mirror with the trim, it is going to be the inward edge or the edge closes to the center of the mirror. The outward or outside corner would be the outside edge furthest away from the center of the mirror. Hope this helps.

• Kelly says:

Think of a 45 degree angle from the outside “corner” edge/end, this is where your inside length would naturally land.

7. Becky says:

I had seen a photo somewhere of a mirror with a two to three inch metal frame. Do you know of where to find something like that?

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

I do not know off the top of my head Becky, an idea for you is to check out a local habitat for humanity. Our local shops always have an bunch of mirrors, and if you were looking for a particular style you could use a Rub and Buff on an older mirror to get that metal frame look. Good luck hunting.

8. Gena says:

Hi there! I saw this on Buzzfeed and I am itching to do this in my master bath.

I went looking for molding today, but I’m not sure what kind to get since these ape of the back of most molding I saw didn’t have a lip to fit over the mirror. I presume you need a lip or the molding won’t be flat against the wall.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

• craftsmandrive@gmail.com says:

Yes, the ones I used were mostly flat on the back. There was a notch in the center that was about 1/2 inch wide, and it indented, so it didn’t create an issue. Good Luck, I hope you find something that is flat and works.

Trackbacks

1. […] belong more now. To get the full instructions on how we framed this bathroom mirror head on over to craftsmandrive.com {here} to get the full tutorial & […]